How To Link Cells in Excel Same Worksheet – Tech Spying
Microsoft Excel is one of the most commonly used spreadsheet software. Excel is a m multi-purpose software and anyone can easily utilize it without having a technical knowledge. We can analyze, store and organize data very easily and we don’t need much effort to perform calculations if we use Microsoft excel software. Microsoft Excel is the product of the Microsoft company. Excl comes with ton of features and has countless functions and formulas which ease our task. But today, I will show that how to link cells in excel same worksheet.
If a user uses an excel sheet regularly then, the user must know beyond the basic of this amazing software. We must know about the basic tips and tricks about any program we use daily and it saves our lot of time and effort. Time is everything. Now, we will learn how to link cells in excel same worksheet. We will connect cells to each other. You can connect cells in same worksheet, same workbook and even different workbook.
Connecting cells to each other make our task a lot easier. It’s one of the powerful feature of the MS Excel. In this particular article, I will show you only to connect cells in the same worksheet. However, I will give you hint to connect cells in different worksheets. I will tell the formula to do this. So, make sure to read the full article to understand how to link cells in excel same worksheet.
Table of Contents
Why Do We Link Cells?
There is not a single reason to link cells to each other. We need it when we work on a large worksheet or even between different workbooks, linking cells make easy our task. We can connect cells in the same worksheet when we need.
By linking cells, we can easily organize out worksheet. For instance, you create a worksheet containing data or anything and then you want to create a summary or result on the same worksheet or another worksheet. You can very easily do this by linking cells to each other. Even if you make changes, the result or summary will automatically change. You do not need to modify manually.
Secondly, we can reduce mistakes like duplicating data in the worksheet. To remove a duplicate data is not an easy task however, excel provides us a feature to it easily but it is not as easy as we think. So, with the help of the cell linking, we can avoid this problem as well.
These are two example of linking cells. We need to link cells in different situations to make our task easy. These are some reasons that why do we link cell together. I hope you understand the reason of connecting cells.
How To Link Cells In Excel Same Worksheet
Now, we will learn that how we can link cells in excel same worksheet. You have to read every step very carefully and do the same in your case as I am doing. First I want to show you that I have a single worksheet named Sheet1 and it contains the Name and the Salary of an employers. See below:
Now, we will link cells in this same worksheet. I will link in random empty cell so that you can better understand the procedure. To link cells to each other, we have two methods and these methods are given below:
Direct Copy and Paste
We will discuss about both the methods to link cells in excel same worksheet. I want you to create your own worksheet containing any kind data and follow the same procedure as I am doing in my case. I will teach you to link single cell as well as range of cells. So. let’s discuss the methods.
1) Direct Copy and Paste
i) Linking of single cell:
First, we will talk about to link a single cell with copy and paste method. You might be thinking that we can easily do copy paste task. What is the logic behind this method. I want to clear your concept that this is not the simple copy paste cells rather it is different as you are thinking. You will learn now this procedure.
To use this method, you have to follow the given procedure:
1) First decide a single cell you want to link to another cell. Then, copy that cell as I am doing:
2) To paste the copied cell, there are two ways. You can follow one the following method:
Select the cell you want to link with the copied cell. After selecting, right click on that cell and click on special Paste then click on Paste link.
The second method is to click on the down arrow of paste icon in clipboard section and click on special paste. A dialog box will appear. Now, click on Paste Link.
3) Now, the cell has been linked with the copied cell. You can check by double click on the cell you paste. Double click on the cell you paste and you will see the cell address of copied cell with $ symbol.
It is the proof that the cell has been linked with the copied cell.
4) Now, try to make changes in the cell you copied. You will see that it will automatically change in the linked cell. Try yourself, it is very easy.
ii) Linking of Range of cells
Now, will discuss about to link a range of cells. It is similar as we link single cell. In this instead of selecting single cell, we will select the range of cells in the same worksheet. It will be very useful if you utilize spreadsheet regularly in your work.
To link the range if cells, follow the given steps:
1) Select the range of cells you want to link as I as doing:
2) Now, choose the cells you want to link with copied cells. After selecting, right click on the cell paste special and then click on paste link by using one of the above mentioned method. You will see that the cells has been linked with copied range of cells.
3) You can verify bu double click on any cell, it will show the address of the original cell.
The first method is very easy for even a common user. In this second method, we will use formula to do the same task (link cells). First, I want to show you that formula is the same thing we do in mathematics and in an excel, it saves out lot of time. In excel, formula always start with equal (=) symbol. Do not forget it. Since we will use formula in this method so, it will start with equal symbol.
Now, follow my steps to use formula:
1) Select the cell you want to link with other cell and put equal (=) sign into it.
2) After putting equal sign, write the address of the cell you want to link. In my case, I want to link F7. So, I will write F7 in the selected cell and press enter. You will see that the cell is linked.
Note: Instead of writing the cell address, you can direct select the cell by mouse click after putting equal symbol. It will automatically write the address of the cell you clicked on.
3) The general formula of link two cells together is given below:
= cell address
ii) Linking of Range of cells
Now, we will link range of cells with the formula. Follow my instructions given below:
1) Select any cell you want to link. Put equal symbol and and type the address of the first cell of the list or range and hit enter. I will only link the first cell of the list.
2) To link the range of cells, drag the handle of the first linked cell downward and it will automatically link the remaining cells.
3) It was an easy method to link the rage of cells by using the formula.