To install a windows 10 or any operating system from USB flash drive is pretty much easy than to insert CD, DVD or any other source of installation. It also saves a lot of time and effort. So, in this article I will show you that how can you make windows 10 bootable USB drive and I will show you the best free tools that you can use to make bootable USB drive. But first of all you need to download an ISO image file of window 10, you want to make USB bootable. Read it till the end and you will be able to make so. Usually, people think it so difficult to make windows 10 bootable USB but I will show you easiest method to do so.
What is ISO image file?
The first question comes in mind that what the ISO is? I will try to explain it briefly to you. Actually, ISO image file is the exact copy of the content you find in CD or DVD drive or any source. For instance, you bring the DVD of windows 10 from market and install it in your PC or Laptop. The same thing we can do with the ISO file since it is the copy of that real file.
In other words, It is a physical disk that you have in your hand that you would put inside a DVD player or game system or even the computer CD DVD Drive in order to start a program that physical disk has been digitized. I tried to explain in easy words and hope you understand.
Tools to make windows 10 Bootabe USB:
There are number of methods to make windows 10 bootable USB flash drive. I will show you many tools that you can use to make it so. Read the full method to understand the whole procedure.
The refuse is a free software to make USB bootable. It is free of cost and can be used for this purpose. This software is one of the most popular software to make bootable USB. It is enhancing over the months.
Refuse is becoming an advance software since it has ability now to detect all the settings according to your suitable condition. Follow the given steps:
1) First, download and install the refuse software.
2) Open it and select your pendrive (USB flash drive), that you want to make bootable.
3) On the boot selection section, select the window 10 ISO file image by clicking on select.
4) On partition scheme select GPT, the target system will automatically selected.
5) Type any volume label you want and click on Start.
6) It will show you a dialog box look like this:
It means all your data saved in the flash drive will be formatted so, make sure that you take your data away from the USB drive.
7)Now after some time, the loading will be completed and your USB flash drive will become bootable.
The next tool is YUMI (your Universal Mutiboot Installer). It is an alternative of refuse. In case, you are unable to make usb bootable with the help of refuse, you can use this alternative method. As the name suggests that it is multiboot installer. So, let’s diver into the steps taken for make the bootable usb with YUMI.
1) Download and install YUMI software.
2) In first step, select your pendrive that you want to make bootable.
3) In second step, Select the operating system you want to load to pendrive.
4) In third step, select the ISO image file of window 10.
5) The final step is click to Create.
6) It will sow you the following message, just click on OK.
Read the instruction carefully written on the dialog box otherwise, you can loss your data saved in pendrive.
Winrar is the most commonly used software, Almost every computer has this software since you have zip file to extract them. You might be surprised that can we use winrar for this purpose. I will say yes, you can use it to make windows 10 bootable usb. First thing I want to tell you that what other softwares do? They extract the files stored in ISO image to your USB flash drive. Winrar also does this task. This is the most easiest way to make the usb bootable.
Now, we will use winrar to make window 10 bootable USB flash drive. Steps are given to do it:
1) Download the winrar and install it on your operating system.
2) Go to your ISO image file of window 10 and right click on it.
3) Click on Extract files, following dialog box will open.
4) Select your USB drive and click OK.
Winrar will start extracting files to your pendrive. You must bear in mind that your pendrive must be formatted. However it will not damage your data.
4) USB/DVD download tool
This is an amazing tool by Microsoft corporation. Like winrar, it is also very easy to use and to make the usb bootable in a very short time. You can download this software from the official website of the Microsoft and will use it for our purpose.
Follow the following steps:
1) Download USB/DVD download tool and install on your PC/Laptop.
2) Open the software and select ISO image file of windows 10.
3) Choose media type as USB device.
4) Now, select your pendrive.
5) It will ask for erasing data of your pendrive as given:
Note: In all above methods, you must clear your mind that your USB flash drive must be formatted before extracting files of the ISO image to pendrive.
5) Command Prompt
In this method, we will use command prompt to make our usb bootable. You might think that can we do with it. So, yes you can do with it. Now, follow the following instructions and do the same:
1) Open your command prompt as an administrator.
2) Type diskpart and it will appear like this:
3) Type list disk it will show all disks.
4) Select your pendrive like this:
and it will say that disk is now selected.
5) Now type clean and will clean the disk.
6) Type create part pri and it will show “DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.”
7)Write select part1 on cmd.
8) Type format fs=ntfs quick, it will quickly format the pendrive.
9) Type active and the disk will be active.
10) Finally, Type exit and the cmd will be closed.
11) Now you have to go to the ISO image file of the window 10 and double click on it, it will show all the window files like this:
12) Just copy all these files and paste then to your USB flash drive. Then, the USB is ready.
Which Method Should You Use?
Now, it’s entirely up to you. You should all of them for better experience. All these tools are very easy and not so complicated. You can easily use them and to make window 10 or any operating system bootable. Then, at any time or any place you don’t need to have CD or DVD, you just need your bootable usb flash drive.
If you ask me what is your recommendation, then I will say that you should use command prompt to make windows 10 bootable usb drive since it is the easiest method and you do not require any third party software because cmd is a built-in feature of every operating system.