Is your internet running slow? Don’t worry about it, If you are using windows 10 operating system then do these settings and your internet will work as a rocket. After reading this, you will feel that your internet speed has increased. Usually, there are many activities that are being performed in the background of windows 10 that slow down your internet. I will show you how to speed up your internet for free.
It is important to know you that I am not talking about extending the 5 Mbps internet connection to 10 Mbps. But when you use the internet, there are many activities in the background of windows 10 which use your internet and ultimately your internet becomes slow. Read this article till the end to know the whole procedure to close these activities and this is how to speed up your internet for free.
How to Speed Up Your Internet for Free
The Internet is slower since upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately, there are simple tweaks that you can perform to speed up your internet. I’ll show you step by step the whole procedure. So, let’s dive into it:
1) Modify DNS Servers
First, we’ll modify the DNS servers. DNS stands for domain name system. Quite simply, it’s a process that translates domain names into IP addresses using DNS servers not assigned by your ISP can make your internet faster. This is our first step.
To change your DNS server, follow the given instructions:
1) Go to Windows Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre > On the left side, click on change adaptor settings.
2) Right-click on the internet you are using right now and click on Properties.
3) Go down to Internet Protocol version 4 select it to highlight it make sure that’s checked.
4) Select properties in the bottom half of this new window.
5) Click on Use the following DNS server addresses.
6) In this example, we’ll use Google’s own public DNS.
7) For preferred DNS server enter 8 8 8 8 and for alternate DNS server enter 8 8 4 4.
8) When you’re done click on OK.
9) If you want to try another DNS server then, click here
and choose your preferred DNS.
Also Read: How to Use Free Unlimited VPN for Windows 10 – Tech Spying
2) Turn Off Background Apps
This next one is overlooked by most people but has an impact on your internet speed. Turn off any apps or services that can run in the background even if you’re not using them. When you connect to the internet, these apps automatically use your internet to auto-update or anything else.
To turn off these apps, just follow the given procedure:
1) Go to Windows Settings > Privacy > Navigate to Background Apps on the left side.
2) Turn off the apps, you don’t want to run in the background.
3) It will fast your internet speed.
3) Disable P2P Updates
In this step, we will make some changes in windows updates. Follow the given steps to do so:
1) Go to Windows Settings > Updates and Security > Windows Updates > Advanced Options
2) Scroll down and click on Delivery Optimization
3) Turn off “Allow download from other PCs”
4) Disable Windows Updates
Turning off the automatic updates for Windows is not a long-term fix but can be useful for those times you need your internet speeds to be at their peak. Follow the given steps to disable it:
1) Find “Services” in the Windows search bar and open it.
2) Scroll all the way down and double-click on Windows Update
3) If the service status says running click on stop then change the startup type from automatic to disable
4) After doing this, click on apply and then, OK.
Note: Just remember to turn it back on. You wouldn’t want to miss all the great new updates that might delete your files or could possibly give you the blue screen of death.
5) Disable Large Send Offload
LSO which stands for Large Send Off Load is a technique of improving network performance while at the same time reducing CPU overhead, in theory, it sounds great in practice it has been known to cause performance and slowdown issues.
To disable it, follow my steps:
1) In the Windows search bar, type device manager and open it.
2) Go down to network adapters and click the arrow to expand it.
3) In the list double click on your network card if you connect via ethernet select Ethernet controller
4) You can connect via Wi-Fi select wireless adapter but in this example, I’ll select an Ethernet controller.
5) Go to the advanced tab in the list select large Send Offload V2 ipv4 and set the value to disabled
6) If you have large send offload V2 ipv6 set that value to disabled as well.
7) When you are done, click on Ok.
8) If you experience any issues you can re-enable it at any time.
Also Read: How to improve computer performance windows 10?
6) Adjust Internet Bandwidth
Windows 10 by default keeps away 20% of your internet bandwidth for its operating system and other related tasks which means you only have 80 percent of your bandwidth that you can actually use here are the steps to get that 20% back for you to use.
You will need to access the group policy editor
for this one which is only available by default for the pro edition of Windows 10 if you’re using the Home Edition your first step is to enable the group policy editor. Click here
to enable if you’re using home edition to enable.
Follow the given steps to it:
1) Press Windows key + R to open run and type gpedit.msc and hit enter on your keyboard.
Note: Be careful in this window this is how IT administrators keep you locked out of programs and keep you from making certain changes
2) Click on Computer configuration.
3) Now double click on administrative templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler
4) Double click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth.
it and set the value from 80% to 100%
or If 20% value is showing in your case then set it to 0%.
6) After doing this, click on Apply and then Ok.
7) Now, close everything and restart your computer once.
This trick will really speed up your internet and it is the best setting according to my experience. You have to follow the same steps as I show you. Don’t make any extra changes in it otherwise your window may not work properly. So, be very careful about it.
Slow internet speed is a serious issue for everyone but after applying these steps, you will be able to increase your internet speed not much but you will feel affect that your internet is running a bit faster than before. These are very simple settings that how to speed up your internet for free. I hope you enjoyed this article and find it helpful and if you think that this post is very helpful then give us a half minute and share this article with your dear ones. That is all for today and you can read other articles to enhance your tech knowledge.